Getting sober and staying that way is a challenge, but it is certainly doable. It isn’t the easy choice because getting high or drunk is certainly an easy way out and an option that will require less work. That being said, it is a change that is beyond worth it and will open up lots of doors and opportunities that remained close for a long time while you were in active addiction.
Getting Sober is Great! Here’s Why.
Getting sober is the best thing you can do for your health, well-being, and overall life. Here are some of the biggest reasons.
- You won’t die. To be blunt, in active addiction you are dancing on death’s door. By cutting alcohol and drugs out of your life, you will have a better chance at life. And, while everyone dies eventually, you won’t be one foot in the grave at all times.
- You’ll wake up with a clear head every day. Gone are the mornings of not knowing what you did the nights before, who you may have pissed off, and how you might have made a fool of yourself. After getting sober, you’ll wake up ready to start your day on a positive note.
- You’ll have money. A tremendous amount of money goes into drug and alcohol use. By quitting, you’ll have a ton of extra money available to you. Things that once seemed impossible like buying a car or getting your own apartment will now be possible.
- You can form real, meaningful relationships that aren’t based on using or drinking. When you are in active addiction, the people you surround yourself with usually are also. They are not positive people to have around because they only are looking for a “partner in crime” to bring down with them. Who knows – you may not even get along with these people once the booze or drugs get taken away.
- You’ll have another chance. Getting sober gives you opportunities to live your life to the fullest. You can get the job you want, go back to school, and rekindle relationships that may have failed due to your addiction. It’s a brand new start.
Getting sober from drugs or alcohol is the absolute best thing you can do for yourself. Besides helping out with all the bullet points above, it may actually save your life or prevent you from going to jail.
If you need help getting away from drugs of alcohol, there are options out there for everyone, no matter what your financial or living situation may be. Going to treatment is the best thing you can do. It is smart to start at a high level of treatment so that you can immerse yourself in your own well-being. You can slowly taper down once you get more sober time under your belt.
All About Recovery is here to help! Call us today at 888-712-8480 to talk to a staff member.